Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Not quite ready to pay for select? Frisco Team Forming!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not quite ready to pay for select? Frisco Team Forming!

Post by Durty-Tackle on 7/8/2014, 3:50 pm

Here's a great transitional team until you know what you want to do. It's a great opportunity to get plenty of touches on the ball and your kid can use this year as a development period. We're not looking for the biggest, fastest, strongest. We're looking for someone that is on the verge of burnout and just needs a break from the select rat race. Maybe your kid just needs to find that love for soccer again.

Our Frisco recreational team has gone undefeated for the past year and we're looking to build this team even further. Most of the kids on this team could easily move on and play select, but we're going to play one more year of rec. We're prepping the kids to move to select by next year or using this as a period to prepare for high school soccer.

Frisco does not offer good competition beyond U13, so we're going to play in Plano.

I know the talent that is needed to play select. I've had sons that played for Solar, Andromeda, Liverpool. They've played at D1 level, been State Cup Champs, Dallas Cup participants and have even been offered a spot at the US Development Academy. I can say that the team has talent, because I have been part of Classic League for many years and I know what it takes to play at that level.

So what will your son be learning? Before I get into that, let me rant a little. Why choose rec over select?

North Texas Soccer puts A TON of emphasis on division play at an early age. Division 1, Division 2, Division 3 and then Plano and Arlington Leagues (Coaches say that D1 being the best, and Plano and Arlington being not as good as D1 and D2). This is really flawed.

Our structure (D1, D2, D3 etc) is based on the principle that in order to reach a higher competitive level you must win by promotion (D1). So where do you think the emphasis will lie? The emphasis will lie on winning and since select soccer is a big business, winning is what brings in the money. And how do you win a game with a group of players who are 13 years old? It's really quite simple. You choose the players who are the biggest, strongest and fastest. You encourage your players to "boot" the ball down the field, and rely on the fact that the other team will not have the technical ability to get the ball out of their half, where your players will then use their physical advantage to overpower their opponents.

You do not focus on teaching those kids how to control a ball, how to turn with it, how to pass and receive a ball - because you don't have to. You win all the time with this strategy; since winning is seen as the only measure of success in select soccer, your players' parents are happy because their little darlings are "successful".

In North Texas, coaches basically hammer it into the kids and parents heads (around U9) that if you are not on a Classic League team, then your kid/team is not that good. So parents automatically think if their kids is not on a winning D1 team, then their son is NOT advancing in skill. And that is not the case.

OK..so back to the original question; What will your son be learning?

I'm going to run these practice like select. We're going to have fun, but be serious. Heavy foot skills and technique, improving first touch, how to make space to finish, increasing confidence to take on opponents in 1v1.

We're going to do a lot of small sided games to get these kids as many touches as possible, we're going to play a ton of futsal, we're going to learn how to play possession style soccer. We're going to learn how to stretch our our opponents and make it difficult for them to play us. Your kid will not be yelled at or berated for making mistakes. I'm going to encourage creativity and promote a very positive environment to learn good soccer.

If this sounds like something you would like to discuss further, please PM for more info.

Durty-Tackle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: Not quite ready to pay for select? Frisco Team Forming!

Post by Durty-Tackle on 11/4/2014, 4:41 pm

We had an awesome outdoor season! I know the boys learned a lot.

We're looking for 1 - 2 kids that would like some extra touches over the winter break. We will be playing at American Indoor in Carrollton.

Let me know if you are interested. We will be playing PPL D1 - D3 teams.

PM me if you're interested.
Durty-Tackle
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum