Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

The Payoff...

Go down

The Payoff...

Post by Guest on 8/20/2014, 9:39 am

Ok, so I'll say it again...still new to the NTX universe...have lots of questions, like:

What is the deal with paying referees cash prior to game start? I have never seen anything like this before! It's comical because when my boys see me pull out my wallet and pay the ref's I catch flak from them about paying the refs off. You know, things like, "Throw a few extra in there Coach so we can get the calls."

First what's the reasoning behind this? Every place I've been, IN THE WORLD, the refs get paid by check from their association. Even when I was a referee in Maryland, California, Germany and Japan, I got a pay check and I was USSF.

Second, I know it's explainable to the players what we're doing, but still doesn't the image of paying a referee cash in front of everyone prior to game start have a negative effect to it? I know the first time I saw this process it floored the heck outta me!

Third, isn't there a better way to handle this? I spoke to a good friend of mine about this practice and he had a great suggestion. Why not have a check in tent (or something similar), where teams check in, conduct roster/game validations, make any payments to include ref fees. Teams would get a receipt (for accounting/accountability purposes) and a ticket that they give to the ref (instead of cash). The ref keeps his tickets throughout the day and then turns them in to the tent to get paid.

Just an idea, and just wondering...thanks!

Back to top Go down

Re: The Payoff...

Post by finish1 on 8/20/2014, 10:02 am

OK, Spirit, now this is just crazy talk. Don't let the mayhem of NTX clog your brain!!

BTW- all that extra administrative work would need additional staff, which would, in turn, increase your costs for referees...
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 8/20/2014, 10:04 am

I can't think of any reason why anybody prefer all cash transactions and no records of said transaction. Stumper.

Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 8/20/2014, 10:07 am

Spoken like a numbers guy in finance.
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by debit on 8/20/2014, 10:22 am

My son started reffing this past spring for the local rec association. They had me setup an account on some website that helps them manage game assignments, notifications, etc. and it also manages the payments. I submitted my banking info and my son's pay gets electronically deposited every 2 weeks (at which point I skim 10% and give him the rest in cash).

I was talking to a work colleague who also refs asking him if he had any games at a tournament run by this same organization, and he stated he preferred not to ref for them anymore because they insist on paying electronically instead of cash.

debit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/20/2014, 10:59 am

Dare I mention, if you're paid in cash...what happens during tax season? Hope folks are doing due diligence...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/20/2014, 11:31 am

debit, I'm assuming you're son has taxes taken out of his pay check?
I know mine did when I ref'd at that age.

Again, i'm not going to run off to the IRS or anything...I'm just curious!

Back to top Go down

Post by debit on 8/20/2014, 11:50 am

This can get real technical real fast which I'm sure most don't care about, but the short answer is no taxes were withheld by the organization and that's legal given the other paperwork submitted.

It is unlikely he will even meet the threshold to receive a 1099 from the organization because he's only working the rec season and only on weekends when there aren't scheduling conflicts with his select team, but that's where his situation is a bit different from older refs working games that pay better and they work a lot more games for league and tournament play.

My son's goal was to earn some cash to buy ridiculously overpriced headphones so he can be like Neymar and maybe an airsoft gun to inflict some real damage on his dad. My goals are to avoid an IRS audit and to always wear safety glasses in my back yard--seriously he has sniper-like skills.

debit
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/20/2014, 12:17 pm

LOL! That is AWESOME! Love it!

You're right, I'm dropping the questioning of inner workings, I no longer want to know!

Just wish there was a better way of doing this transaction without feeling like a sod every time I have to pull out my wallet before a game...

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 8/20/2014, 12:30 pm

debit wrote:I submitted my banking info and my son's pay gets electronically deposited every 2 weeks (at which point I skim 10% and give him the rest in cash).

Now there's a numbers guy who knows how to work the angles.
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 8/20/2014, 12:32 pm

Try having to run across the field to the parents side saying "anybody got a $20 I can borrow?" before games. There were also multiple occasions last season where I didn't have exact change and just gave them a pre-game tip. 15% folks. Customary.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would be shocked if this is typically getting reported. Taxes are a victimless crime either way. Unless, y'know, you are the Staff Sgt out of Shkin whose radio was provided by the lowest bidder due to a budget cutback and you can't call in that gunship.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 8/20/2014, 12:37 pm

Numbers and sarcastic, dry humor. That's some funny stuff right there.

finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8/20/2014, 12:54 pm

How I felt every time I had to conduct an op...

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum