Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

Coaching strategy, input please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coaching strategy, input please

Post by Quietmouse on 11/6/2014, 7:13 am

If your bb's coach talked about the importance of developing skill, but in the next breath blamed the team's performance (0 wins fall season) on the fact that they didn't have enough "athletes", what would you think? Team has 5-6 "athletes" (big, fast, moderately skilled). Those 5-6 started every game and played most of every game. Different coach last year, same kids, coach started skilled players and played the athletic kids primarily in the back as stoppers - ended 2nd place in a lower division. In the new coach's defense, we probably shouldn't be in the division we are currently in, the boys are outmatched. However he proceeded with the same strategy the whole fall season (big kid up front, get the ball up to him, and Go XX Go!) which obviously didn't work. Now he says he plans to work on more skill with the boys, but always follows that up talking about how we don't have enough athletes. FTR - BB is one of the skilled kids who sits the bench. Prior coach he started and played 75% of every game. New coach immediately benched him in favor of bigger/faster kids. BB has asked coach what he needs to do to get more playing time and coach has either told him to work on his speed or that he is "happy with the current lineup", which cracks me up because we're not winning nor do we seem to be developing. I don't care that much about winning - we came to this team from a losing team (left for other reasons on good terms), but I do care about my kid having fun and getting better. BB is getting discouraged. If this was your kid and the coach was saying/acting like this, what would you do?

Quietmouse
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Re: Coaching strategy, input please

Post by Guest on 11/6/2014, 7:47 am

i would plan on leaving. your coach is trying for wins and playing kick and run is his path to do that. There are many other teams your son would be welcome on, get out and don't look back. It won't get any better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity on 11/6/2014, 8:28 am

Agreed! Do some quiet shopping this Spring...you can't legally practice but you definitely can watch other games and listen to what the coach says to his boys and watch what kind of game they are playing.

I know for a fact that there are really good coaches in your age bracket.
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by caatffm on 11/6/2014, 8:31 am

Are the coach's values matching yours, and the values you are teaching your kid?

Majority of coaches will tell you it is about development, but turns out to be about winning (=prestige). Prestige brings them more and better players, which in turn brings more income ($$$). Are practices about development, or is it the same or similar every time? A lot is about touches, but do they learn about passing, moves, shooting as well?

Every kid is different, every kid needs to be handled differently. When it comes to teaching, but also confidence.

Since the coach mentioned that speed is something your BB needs to work on, has your BB improved speed/agility? If not, work on that, and see what happens. No change? Then leave.

For the development of every kid it needs to be clear what are strengths and weaknesses. If that is not clear, then what? How can improvement happen?

Work on weaknesses while fine tuning strengths.

caatffm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Quietmouse on 11/6/2014, 9:02 am

BB does weekly skills sessions in addition to regular practice. After the coach told him to work on speed he joined the cross country team; in 8 weeks he shave 2 minutes off his 2 mile time. I know that's not burst speed, but it helped his endurance and his overall speed. Practices focus on some footskill, then small sided scrimmages. Coach talks about passing, first touch, moves, shooting but bb says they don't work on them a lot in practice (his old coach was very footskill intensive so he knows what that type of practice is like). We like what the coach has to say, but it seems contradicted by his game strategies. We are hoping to meet with him soon to discuss what bb's strengths/weaknesses are and what we can expect if he does improve them.

I guess what I would like to know from you who have BTDT is if you would wait till spring or ask for a release sooner? BB has already said he wants to look in June, not necessarily move, but look. If he could look now he would, but he understands his commitment and wants to honor it. However as a parent I'm afraid another season of sitting on the bench watching kids kick and chase will destroy his passion for the game, he's already frustrated.

Quietmouse
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by caatffm on 11/6/2014, 9:19 am

A release would have the downside of loosing money spent for a year of soccer, but only getting 5-6 months of it. Depending what a new team, if one found, and would charge, you could have up to twice the cost for a year.

The release would allow you to start searching (12/01), but if nothing available, could mean no team practices or games for the time being.
caatffm
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by golazo02 on 11/6/2014, 1:38 pm

Have you tried Futsal? My BB's technical skills and touch improved immensely and it was a welcome change during the winter downtime period.

golazo02
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback on 11/6/2014, 2:20 pm

Parents want wins...coaches feel pressure to produce wins as evidence of progress...the real question is, does the team turn over every year or is the coach able to produce progress without changing players? Most coaches, if they are honest, want to produce results with top players...so they can feel good about themselves...

it is complicated...to win does take some level of athletic talent...and at younger ages the kids will all develop at different rates...and some kids, no matter how much they practice, are never going to develop into top athletes. I try to keep in mind that my goals are bigger than a win this weekend...but in the end, i want them to win (for their benefit more than mine).

The delta between what people say ("It is all about development on this team") and what they do ( "we need more athletes" or you see them drop kids they have been developing for 2 years as soon as they get a chance to upgrade) is what you are concerned about. Might be time to move...but if you are looking for a team that wins as a metric...well, you might be contributing to the problem. In the end, find a coach you think will both develop your kid and make a long-term committment and relax about the rest...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by NotADRAMAfan on 11/7/2014, 1:07 pm

Quietmouse wrote:If your bb's coach talked about the importance of developing skill, but in the next breath blamed the team's performance (0 wins fall season) on the fact that they didn't have enough "athletes", what would you think?  Team has 5-6 "athletes" (big, fast, moderately skilled).  Those 5-6 started every game and played most of every game.  Different coach last year, same kids, coach started skilled players and played the athletic kids primarily in the back as stoppers - ended 2nd place in a lower division.  In the new coach's defense, we probably shouldn't be in the division we are currently in, the boys are outmatched.  However he proceeded with the same strategy the whole fall season (big kid up front, get the ball up to him, and Go XX Go!) which obviously didn't work.  Now he says he plans to work on more skill with the boys, but always follows that up talking about how we don't have enough athletes.  FTR - BB is one of the skilled kids who sits the bench.  Prior coach he started and played 75% of every game.  New coach immediately benched him in favor of bigger/faster kids.  BB has asked coach what he needs to do to get more playing time and coach has either told him to work on his speed or that he is "happy with the current lineup", which cracks me up because we're not winning nor do we seem to be developing.  I don't care that much about winning - we came to this team from a losing team (left for other reasons on good terms), but I do care about my kid having fun and getting better.  BB is getting discouraged.  If this was your kid and the coach was saying/acting like this, what would you do?

Read your post.
Team overachieved and now cannot compete (happens all the time).  Enjoy the spoils of finishing second and getting promoted.  Happens in the professional soccer all the time.

Now BB is getting discouraged -- okay ,   get him skill training.
If you know who Chris Obara / Chris Obarra is  (google him) ask him when his skill sessions are  and go to them.  

There is City Futsal that does a daam good job with kids , go google City Futsal contact them.

You want pressure -- Go Google  CARLOS VIDELA and his VIP training (google that its on face book ) go to his sessions.

Your son will be fantastic but exhausted after all that , he will not have time to be discouraged, just full of confidence but exhausted.

Look this stuff is not easy,  coaches are under pressure.    
Teach skills, hold each kid accountable.  Game day , do what takes to win the game.

Politics, and not trusting the kids so they sit the bench plays into every coaches game plan.

Soccer is life , but CLASSIC LEAGUE IS NOT.

You did ask what I would do : -
I would honor my contract till the end of spring season and then leave.
I have done that in the past. Teaches my kid to honor his commitment.

NotADRAMAfan
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by soccerdadrandy on 11/7/2014, 1:33 pm

the perfect soccer player has a "definite" blend of skill AND athleticism. i'm not so sure the coach is talking from both sides of his mouth lol
soccerdadrandy
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccerinsanity on 11/8/2014, 9:55 pm

But there's the question of whether the coach is teaching that blend of skill and athleticism, or how and when to use them.
Soccerinsanity
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by getafe01 on 11/10/2014, 12:24 pm

This is a very difficult age group. The boys are changing, maturing, and developing right before your eyes, but at very different paces. It makes the conversation about skill vs BFS much more difficult at this age than anytime past or future. It is also difficult remaining purely objective as a parent. The bottom line is fun. We can talk development all day long and til the cows come home. It is actually a nebulous term that is overused and misused by many on the forum, not excluding me. It is different to the various stakeholders: the player, the parent, and the coach. It also varies based on timing. I have stopped thinking about development. Development is for education and who the child is going to become as a person. Playing soccer and its training are about the youth having fun and developing a passion. Very, very few will take it to the collegiate or professional level. Not saying one should give up on that dream, but be realistic. Enjoy soccer for what it is and what it offers. If bb enjoys the coach and team, but playing time is not what YOU want or record is not what YOU want, tough titties. If you can look in the mirror and honestly accept that YOU are not influencing his demeanor and decisions, then look for an alternative team in the spring when HIS commitment is complete.
getafe01
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Futbol_Sala on 11/22/2014, 6:21 pm

Be realistic first and foremost not for the coach but for yourself. That will allow you to make a good decision. I would not hang in there. Even playing in a lower team or lowered division is better than being a bencher. My kid plays basketball and he's pretty good but moved himself from A team bench to C team Star player. In soccer he's a starter but my son had to be realistic. That may not be your case and truth be told If be looking for the door a year ago. On my kids team it's season play the a trainer comes in and does off-season. Training is and should be hitting the weights, stretching a CSCS certified trainer. I know there is someone in FW doing this. All I know is Zeke is the guys nickname and trains Futsal. That's all I have in the FW area. In the Dallas area you need to find a CSCS certified trainer. Best of luck. Make your BB tough to ignore!
Futbol_Sala
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum