Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

The Talent That Whispers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Talent That Whispers

Post by Uncleof05AP on 4/19/2017, 9:13 am

Some of you might enjoy the following post and video from Changing the Game Project: http://changingthegameproject.com/the-talent-that-whispers. It might be for helpful for those parents and uncles that do not currently have DA and Classic League kids - you know, the only kids that really matter in soccer. According to some, everyone else is just wasting their money and time. In any event, it has some interesting nuggets.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Re: The Talent That Whispers

Post by JaxattacK09 on 4/19/2017, 9:40 am

Thanks for sharing. It is easy as a parent to get caught up in what we think is best for our children and forget it's not a race to the top of a ladder.

JaxattacK09
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by UnitedFC on 4/19/2017, 12:02 pm

Too many people get caught up in the DA or Classic status. Just recently I heard someone was moving to another location to get their kid in the DA program and lied about being accepted lol! lol! lol!

UnitedFC
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 on 4/19/2017, 12:24 pm

LOL the whole thing is based on a false narrative. Brady wasn't some undiscovered talent. He was a standout HS player who played at a large program in college, moved to the draft and according to the team was drafted last because they thought they could get him late. Making it too the draft alone put hi in the top percentage of players and a much higher percentage than say the DA. You kid isn't Brady and chances are he just isn't that talented so let him have fun. Yes US soccer and in particular NTX overlook a lot of talented but the odds are greater that its not talent that whispers. You can't hear it because its not there
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP on 4/19/2017, 12:51 pm

Go99, the underlying theme is not really about Brady.  It is about letting your kids have fun and enjoy sports, which, in a nutshell, is the mantra of Changing the Game.  At the same time, however, it is important for kids (and more important for the parents) not to believe that success in sports (and in life) is determined by what a coach believes about you at the age of twelve.   As for my nephew, the only hint of talent I hear from him involves him being the best Xbox player of all time.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ussoccerfan on 4/19/2017, 1:26 pm

Excellent article! Kids should have fun and enjoy playing. There has been more then one occasion where I have seen a parent take their kid who was thriving and having fun on a lower division team to a higher division team so they could be on a "better" team and then come to find out their kid loses passion for the game because they put the needs of being on a "top" team over the needs of "just being a kid". Fortunately enough we have a great environment with a coach who doesnt scrimmage for practice, and a super group of parents. The result the kids are having fun, developing, and winning games. And yeah, we arent in Classic, we aim to be next year; but if we dont make it, no big deal for me. My kid enjoys the sport, is happy where he is at, has developed his skills, and displays confidence on and off the field. For me thats a win. Even more so at the age of 12.

ussoccerfan
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket on 4/19/2017, 1:56 pm

I like what Eric Wynalda said: The worst thing someone can say about you is that you have potential.

earbucket
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 on 4/20/2017, 1:08 pm

Uncleof05AP wrote:Go99, the underlying theme is not really about Brady.  It is about letting your kids have fun and enjoy sports, which, in a nutshell, is the mantra of Changing the Game.  At the same time, however, it is important for kids (and more important for the parents) not to believe that success in sports (and in life) is determined by what a coach believes about you at the age of twelve.   As for my nephew, the only hint of talent I hear from him involves him being the best Xbox player of all time.

You don't play DA for your kid to have FUN. It is to work hard and try to become very good at something. Stop lying to yourselves. You are at least right about the kid. The KID has to decide what he/she wants from soccer. To find out how good you can be and push yourself or play and have fun. They are two different objective entirely. To the kids at the lower levels, regardless of what your coach tells you, you are not developing at the pace of your peers. Purely by the difference in the level and pace of the game and poor environment and competition will kill talent just as fast as poor coaching.

Clubs should be focused on players but they are not. Kids should be moved up and down divisions based on talent, ability and needs. But it isn't because coaches money depends on keeping teams together (no way you move up your best players) Parents ego's couldn't possibly stand not being in the "best" league even if it doesn't suit their needs or desires.
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP on 4/20/2017, 2:40 pm

Go99, you might be correct. You have experienced a lot more than me. To develop at the pace of your peers, do you need to play at the highest level no matter the kid's age? For example, if a kid is twelve-years old, is it imperative for him to play U-12 DA to develop at the highest level or is it something that is more important once a child is fourteen or so years old? In other words, if a twelve-year old is not playing at the highest level now, is it doubtful that he will ever be able to reach the highest level of of his peers? Will he get too far behind his peers to ever catch up? Look, I realize there are few absolutes in this world (other than death, taxes, and the Cowboys never winning another Super Bowl); thus, I am talking in more generalities.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by 04Soccerdad on 4/20/2017, 3:29 pm

go99 wrote:
You don't play DA for your kid to have FUN.  

I'm sorry but that just struck me as odd. Maybe I'm reading it in the wrong context. Regardless of the level, it should still be fun. If it isn't fun, then the player has no passion for the game. No passion for the game means no development. If there is no development then what's the point of playing DA?

04Soccerdad
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by bigtex75081 on 4/20/2017, 4:43 pm

I appreciate when people are honest on this forum.  It may not be what we want to hear but it's honest.  GO99 is being honest.

I think the onus is on the parents in this market to determine the right level for their sons.  There's always someone there to take your money.  The problem is if you put your son on too high of a level, you'll waste your time and money.  If you put your son on too low of a level, you'll waste your time a money.  Too far in either direction and your son is likely to leave the sport.

Parents now have to be smarter customers.  There’s too many offerings when many would prefer it to be ‘simple’.  It's up to the parents in this market to take an honest look at their son's abilities and reasonably determine his level.  No one else can do it for you.  

IMO, I don't think the boy's current coach (or prospective coach) is a good opinion to get.  That coach has other needs/wants that will not necessarily align always with your son's needs/wants.

TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum