Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

State Cup

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: State Cup

Post by Number13 on 5/10/2017, 2:52 pm

Socceropath wrote:
plano02 wrote:The bigger question is, is it better to play on a great team, and sit on the bench on these big stages, or to play the entire season on a middle of the road team in D1.

I would argue the latter.  Nobody ever improved their game sitting on the bench with a bunch of medals in their pocket.

Not to discount the importance of in-game touches, but BB will touch the ball 10x as much in practice than a game playing full time.  If the training is a higher level, with higher level players surrounding him I'd argue he's getting more out of that from a developmental standpoint than playing time.  If the quality of training is on the same level, obviously more playing time wins.  Bottom line though is whether your BB can stay focused and motivated riding the pine.

If we're talking about a bench player on a DA team vs full time player on mid D1, to me the choice is obvious.  DA all day, everyday.  If its a choice between top D1 team vs #5 D1 team, go with playing time.

The games are supposed to be the "test".   And for a lot of kids, the most fun part of the experience.  I do think you learn a bit more about taking tests if you get to take more tests.   Though there is probably something to be said for learning that life isn't easy and you have to sometimes work harder or take your lumps.  

Everybody is different. I remember being on varsity as a sophomore and just hoping every day that the season would end.   Unfortunately we won State Championship.  I don't remember a thing about that game even though I played a tiny bit.  Not a thing.   Not playing much sucks.  

BB has only ever been a full-time player, this year on a mid D1 team.  0.0% interest in him being a bench player on a DA team over full time player on mid D1 team.  He may think getting to call himself a DA player is great, but I'm the one driving the car.  

In the end you're probably not doing this for any pot of gold.  Spending a year not playing is the pits.   Maybe this attitude is why BB can't seem to develop.  

State Cup you can only make 7 subs.  So if you have a 21 man roster or whatever, you are drawing short straws somewhere.

Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Socceropath on 5/10/2017, 3:35 pm

Number13 wrote:
Socceropath wrote:
plano02 wrote:The bigger question is, is it better to play on a great team, and sit on the bench on these big stages, or to play the entire season on a middle of the road team in D1.

I would argue the latter.  Nobody ever improved their game sitting on the bench with a bunch of medals in their pocket.

Not to discount the importance of in-game touches, but BB will touch the ball 10x as much in practice than a game playing full time.  If the training is a higher level, with higher level players surrounding him I'd argue he's getting more out of that from a developmental standpoint than playing time.  If the quality of training is on the same level, obviously more playing time wins.  Bottom line though is whether your BB can stay focused and motivated riding the pine.

If we're talking about a bench player on a DA team vs full time player on mid D1, to me the choice is obvious.  DA all day, everyday.  If its a choice between top D1 team vs #5 D1 team, go with playing time.

The games are supposed to be the "test".   And for a lot of kids, the most fun part of the experience.  I do think you learn a bit more about taking tests if you get to take more tests.   Though there is probably something to be said for learning that life isn't easy and you have to sometimes work harder or take your lumps.  

Everybody is different.  I remember being on varsity as a sophomore and just hoping every day that the season would end.   Unfortunately we won State Championship.  I don't remember a thing about that game even though I played a tiny bit.  Not a thing.   Not playing much sucks.  

BB has only ever been a full-time player, this year on a mid D1 team.  0.0% interest in him being a bench player on a DA team over full time player on mid D1 team.  He may think getting to call himself a DA player is great, but I'm the one driving the car.  

In the end you're probably not doing this for any pot of gold.  Spending a year not playing is the pits.   Maybe this attitude is why BB can't seem to develop.  

State Cup you can only make 7 subs.  So if you have a 21 man roster or whatever, you are drawing short straws somewhere.

All your points have merit. I'd like to point out that YOUR approach arguably values your self interest/agenda over BB's development. The beauty is YOU'RE the parent and that's YOUR choice. I frankly can't say I wouldn't choose the same path, so don't think for a second I'm passing any type of judgment.

I say all this just to shed light on the fact that none of us in NTX soccer, Club/Coach/Parent/Player, operate in a vacuum. While its easy to sit back and throw shade on clubs for NOT placing player development as their number 1 business practice, in the real world there are other factors at play. It's somewhat hypocritical for us (myself included) to beat the development drum when we don't always base our decisions on that ourselves.

Socceropath
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by plano02 on 5/10/2017, 4:56 pm

Agree with everything in the last posts. It's difficult to complain to a coach about playing time when a team has been successful...that somewhat says the coach made the right choices.

That being said, my opinion is, playing in real game situations is where real lessons are learned...good and bad. Hopefully players learn from those, develop and get better as a result.

We need our best players, playing the game in North Texas. Not sitting on the bench.

plano02
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by earbucket on 5/10/2017, 5:59 pm

I have always been an advocate of being at a level where the kid is getting either substantial playing time or platooning. I can see where it can be interpreted as self interest, but I think the main reason is to have my kid invested in the activity. If he is not playing, then he better be pushing the kids who are. If he isn't then I failed to do my job in getting him at the right level.

But then again, it doesn't stop from writing little notes like this to him after watching an un-spirited practice.

"I’m reminded of the movie The Right Stuff. Gordon Cooper is competing against the bragging, cocky astronauts in the test of who can blow air for the longest amount of time. He thinks he’s won, so he quits the test. In the meantime, he doesn’t notice the two quiet astronauts at the end of the table (John Glenn and Alan Shepard) who are still going. Cooper is competing against others while Glenn and Shepard are competing against themselves. Make sure you raise the bar for yourself and not rest at the bar of others.

In these type of activities, it is important to remember that the results don’t matter (such as who finishes first), but the process does. Like we’ve said—practice doesn’t make perfect, but imperfect practice creates bad habits. Everything that you do in these activities should be building blocks for your reactions and movements on the field. So, do the small things to build for the big things. And if someone makes fun of you for taking it seriously, then just laugh right along with them.

Whether it be nature or god, you’ve been blessed with natural abilities at a young age. Others will catch up and while, some in your shoes will give up when they no longer have the natural advantages, it should spur you on to make progress yourself.

Examine your weaknesses and work on those. As an example, if you need to work on your weak foot then take the time to do so. If you need to work on crosses then do so. You have plenty of friends who would probably join you as they will want or need the work too.

Remember whatever bar is being met at the current practice level, then know with full confidence that the bar at the college level will be much higher. One of my HS teammates played JC basketball and he said the biggest difference between it and HS was that JC practice and workouts were like a business. JC players took it seriously and worked intensely with full concentration.

In preparation for that future you should start building those skills now.

earbucket
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hanallalone on 5/10/2017, 6:34 pm

Well said... Preparation for any venture begins NOW with a strong foundation and a good work ethic... Self motivation and focus (in my experience) are usually the deciding factors between good and GREAT!
hanallalone
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by plano02 on 5/10/2017, 6:37 pm

Great advice, thanks...

plano02
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by geordie11 on 5/10/2017, 10:56 pm

good points made above, however, to add another perspective-

sometimes that bench player during games is also a "bench" player during practice. He'll be the one always wearing the pinny and may not be practicing in his best position. His role during practice will be to help the starters. Think of an NFL quarterback - the starter practices with the team, while the backup is holding the playbook. The player may end up discouraged not only during games, but also during practice.

In the end its an individual decision based on individual circumstances. I don't this one rule applies across the board.

geordie11
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 5/11/2017, 7:50 am

earbucket wrote:I have always been an advocate of being at a level where the kid is getting either substantial playing time or platooning.  I can see where it can be interpreted as self interest, but I think the main reason is to have my kid invested in the activity.  If he is not playing, then he better be pushing the kids who are.  If he isn't then I failed to do my job in getting him at the right level.    

But then again, it doesn't stop from writing little notes like this to him after watching an un-spirited practice.

"I’m reminded of the movie The Right Stuff.  Gordon Cooper is competing against the bragging, cocky astronauts in the test of who can blow air for the longest amount of time.  He thinks he’s won, so he quits the test.  In the meantime, he doesn’t notice the two quiet astronauts at the end of the table (John Glenn and Alan Shepard) who are still going.  Cooper is competing against others while Glenn and Shepard are competing against themselves.  Make sure you raise the bar for yourself and not rest at the bar of others.

In these type of activities, it is important to remember that the results don’t matter (such as who finishes first), but the process does.  Like we’ve said—practice doesn’t make perfect, but imperfect practice creates bad habits.  Everything that you do in these activities should be building blocks for your reactions and movements on the field.  So, do the small things to build for the big things.  And if someone makes fun of you for taking it seriously, then just laugh right along with them.

Whether it be nature or god, you’ve been blessed with natural abilities at a young age.  Others will catch up and while, some in your shoes will give up when they no longer have the natural advantages, it should spur you on to make progress yourself.  

Examine your weaknesses and work on those.  As an example, if you need to work on your weak foot then take the time to do so.  If you need to work on crosses then do so.  You have plenty of friends who would probably join you as they will want or need the work too.

Remember whatever bar is being met at the current practice level, then know with full confidence that the bar at the college level will be much higher.  One of my HS teammates played JC basketball and he said the biggest difference between it and HS was that JC practice and workouts were like a business.  JC players took it seriously and worked intensely with full concentration.  

In preparation for that future you should start building those skills now.  

I'm not normally too serious, but that sir is pretty good stuff.   If I want to leave BB a motivational note I usually just write "get your shite together" on his bathroom mirror in red lipstick.  

fwiw, two of my HS teammates/friends accepted their scholarship offers to a D2 school, I passed.  They said relative to our HS program the D2 college program was a joke.   Better athletes but worse dedication and organization.   With serious sports behind them they mostly just drank and smoked dope.  Last I checked that was still Plan A for one of them.  

You never know where this thing is going.  Everybody involved ideally enjoys what they are doing today. Me, personally, I enjoy watching my kids play in the games.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 5/11/2017, 10:15 am

That's hysterical, 13!

There was a local player who left for a top 10 D1 school last year and was disgruntled at how many kids didn't take it seriously and wanted to party all the time.
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by OP05 on 5/11/2017, 10:30 am

Does that kid now have a pro contract? Sounds like him. High character and work ethic.

finish1 wrote:That's hysterical, 13!

There was a local player who left for a top 10 D1 school last year and was disgruntled at how many kids didn't take it seriously and wanted to party all the time.

OP05
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 5/11/2017, 11:48 am

Yep
finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 5/11/2017, 12:25 pm

Kids wanting to go to college in LA to chase girls and party? Unpossible!

Todd Marinovich thinks that is a very solid plan.
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by finish1 on 5/11/2017, 1:45 pm

Yes, but you still have to stay focused on why you are there and what you're supposed to do. I believe that is what the player was expecting. I believe UCLA finished outside the top 50 as a result of their lack of discipline.

finish1
TxSoccer Sponsor
TxSoccer Sponsor

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 5/11/2017, 2:02 pm

It just is what it is.  That is why guys like Saban and Meyer and Harbaugh are so special.  They can get the best kids, and then demand a ton out of the kids, and get enough of the kids to fully buy into it every year.   That's not always so easy to do with 18-20 year olds who often think they know best.   Hell, its not easy with 14 year olds.

Mostly I just like quoting Ralph Wiggum.  If mommy's purse didn't belong in the microwave, then why did it fit?
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncleof05AP on 5/11/2017, 2:36 pm

Earbucket, nice post.   I am always telling Billy Bob that he is not be competing against the other boys; instead, he is competing against himself (in soccer and everything else in life).   As my Gramie used to say, "Anyone can be a great small-town prostitute, but your goal should be a great big-city prostitute - like in Dothan, Alabama."  Anyway, at least for those that are younger, it is tough to be dedicated and work your arse off at practice when so many other kids on the team have a different perspective.  Then, when you try to compete at a different level at practice, you have the other kids telling you to bring it down a level - similar to the union guys telling the new hire to lower his rivet count before he makes them look bad.  I had hoped that changed when they get older, but based on this thread, that does not seem to be the case.

Uncleof05AP
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by SnookumsConCarne on 5/11/2017, 7:08 pm

LMBO!
Ralph Wiggums. lol!
SnookumsConCarne
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Futbol#VIDA on 5/15/2017, 7:23 am

Congratulations to Solar Stricker for another State Cup. That's what 4 in a row? Don't know what the secret is but his teams seem to turn it up in State Cup. They avenged the loss to Odyssey & 6-0 championship win against the Texans makes up for the tie during the season. So did they score early & catch some breaks like PK's, silly mistakes, lucky bounces or what? I'm guessing the Texans found it hard to run for 80 minutes with Stricker's track team. Scoring 30 goals in 4 games is outstanding! What's up with the defense, 0 goals the whole tournament against the best in Plano, Odyssey & the Texans, WOW! Good luck at Regionals to Solar Stricker, Odyssey & the Texans.

Futbol#VIDA
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 5/15/2017, 7:52 am

Yes, congrats to them.  They have been the best team all year.  They wore Ody down and last 1/4 of the game was no bueno from our perspective.   They had 20 kids at the game.  By mid-late 2nd half we were scrambling to find 11 to put on the field, we could have used those two extra kids.    Very Happy
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum