Texas Soccer
If you don't have an account yet, click register AND send me an email to TXSOCCER.NET@GMAIL.COM and I will activate the account.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

D1 results & thoughts

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: D1 results & thoughts

Post by Dragon Nation on 10/15/2017, 2:04 pm

1st FCD & now Castro...thanks Refs!!
Disappointing tie for Solar Stricker 3-3.  SR dominated the 1st half going up 2-0.  Should have been 5-0 but SR missed 2 great opportunities & had 1 goal called off for offsides.  Castro's team never quit.  Shortly after 1/2 time a Castro corner was cleared by SR but the wind took it to the middle of the field.  SR lost track of a player & paid for it, making it 2-1.  Soon after the SR right forward sprinted past the right back which pulled the keeper out, served a perfect ball across the 6 which was initially fumbled by SR but then finished perfectly by the SR midfielder making it 3-1.  Then the bad & non-calls started.  Castro was awarded a foul in the box on a complete flop (no one touched the kid).  The PK made it 3-2.  Soon after SR on the attacked got fouled 2X in the Castro box but no call!  1 of the SR players yells something at the ref who promptly gives him a straight red card.  Players have to be smarter than that.  SR playing with 10 gave Castro the help they needed.  With 3 mins left to play Castro evened the score 3-3 on a deflected shot into the corner of the SR goal.  Great game by both teams.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by davito on 10/15/2017, 3:30 pm

Ok so that is the usual totally biased match report from Dragon Nation. Now here is what really happened.

Pretty even game throughout the 80 minutes. Stricker more direct and high press, Castro more movement of the ball on the deck. First goal for Stricker looked like through ball to offside forward. Second goal looked like offside midfielder in the build up. Castro pulled a goal back off a corner. Chances at either end before halftime. But "should have been 5-0"..... Suspect

Second half Stricker team caught Castro short at the back to score a nice third. Castro won a legit penalty to make it 3-2. Defender caught the leg of Castro attacker in the box. Plain and simple.

There was what looked like a possible penalty for Stricker but ref waived play on. Later on Stricker got a free kick on the edge of the box for nothing. Red card was unfortunate. Use the wrong words with CL refs and that is what you get. Castro scored third deflected shot as stated to tie it up.

You can whine all you like about refs but seemed to me that things pretty much evened themselves out between calls that went either way and the fact that both of the first 2 Stricker goals had more than a hint of offside involved.
davito
TxSoccer Author
TxSoccer Author

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation on 10/15/2017, 4:10 pm

LOL Davito.  It's all about perspective my friend so I'll agree to disagree.  Yes, it should have been 5.  It was 2, we missed an open goal for 3, we just missed the back post for 4 & we had an offsides for 5.  Missed opportunities don't count so it is what it is.  We only have ourselves to blame for not capitalizing on those chances.  Not sure how you could call the offsides when I'm sure you were busy watching the ball & not our forward & midfielder.  I can assure you the line judge was on it...though it was all she was on because she didn't help the ref with that phantom foul in our box.  Incidentally, I happened to be standing right there when your player went down & I didn't see anyone touch him.  One of your parents was there as well & I believe he thought it was a bit suspect.  He certainly couldn't believe we didn't get a PK for either of the 2 fouls in your box.  CL warned everyone that 0 tolerance is the policy for mouthing to the refs so no argument about that.  Up 3-2 with under 7 mins left & we hurt ourselves.  That's on us.  The bottom line is 3-3 tie for round 1. We'll do this again a few months from now & I expect another 80 minute battle.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 10/15/2017, 5:25 pm

"Should have been" is a tricky thing.   I think if every team could claim every goal that Dad thinks Jr might have scored, everybody would have a lot more GF.   But eye of beholder.  On a more factual level, it was 2-1 at half.  Not 2-0.  It could have been a wide variety of scores.    First half:  More Castro possession, more Castro chances, better Stricker chances.   Looking at game as a whole wasn't much different.   Reasonable number of Stricker chances.  What most would call against the run of play   They go from defend to attack in two kicks.   Very well.   But they don't do much in more than two kicks.  Reasonable # of Castro chances.   A large number seemingly not even taken in favor of switching play and keeping ball.   Standard deal, possession against counter.   Potato, Potahto.  

These refs, like many others, seemed more interested in disciplining dissent than a multitude of other things like high kicks, tackles from behind, elbows to head, handling, time wasting, etc.   Hence the red card for cursing in 2nd half.  And multiple minutes wasted talking to the benches.   Just card the manager or don't.  

I was in the middle on the first Stricker goal    We all function largely on pattern recognition, and that looked like offside.   Maybe it wasn't, but as both players were sprinting when the ball was played its hard for the attacker to get 5 yards clear (on that defender) over 30 yards without a headstart.   Kind of doubt the female AR was sprinting back as fast as the play.   Was a good finish and counter.   Goal counts.  Move on.  

No idea what angle ref had, but seemed a pretty clear PK not awarded to Stricker in 2nd half.   Seemed a few other blatant head scratchers both ways, and a general lack of cards leading to freedom to make bad challenges.  

Parents yelling at kids on the other team is relatively embarrassing.  Just from a human being perspective.   Might not have happened with better field marshalling.  

The bottom line is FCD is in first place at the halfway point and these two teams are not.   Imagine if you are FCD.   Their 2nd team (or actually 2.5 team) is winning this league.   What a Face
Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by NTssball on 10/15/2017, 6:09 pm

I am really amazed that rose colored glasses really do exist...refs did make some questionable calls - BOTH ways! Castro didn't score a few I thought they should have - so did Stricker! But you don't see me on here crying about how we were robbed and SHOULD have scored 5 goals when we only scored 1 in the first half! Ridiculous - I thought it was an exciting game - fun to watch - no silly excuses or should have been scenarios. I'm sure every parent can put on the Rose colored glasses and come up with enough should a been goals in every game so that their kids team goes undefeated...

NTssball
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Forthegame4 on 10/15/2017, 6:38 pm

Assuming FCD Premiere won (i don't know the score) and knowing most of us have stopped caring about the Stklr/Csto game (it was a tie people 3-3). Maybe we can move into a new conversation for the 2nd half of the season? Which teams will win 10 games when CL comes to an end this year?

Winning 10:
-All three Solar teams (I know this is a risky bet)
-FCD Premier

Lost and safe in the upper middle:
-DTS

Safe, but struggling over the 2nd half:
-Ody
-Ace

Done, with one unlucky team surviving to be relegated next year:
-Cruz (ok, they eeekkkk out 8th, but are relegated next year)
-FCD Hdg
-LP Rush (2nd club Killed by current AOS coaches - first they killed TFC, and now LP). Too much change and not enough depth of talent in this club to overcome the change.

Forthegame4
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon Nation on 10/15/2017, 7:21 pm

Does anyone know the score to the FDC vs Cruz Azul game?  I haven't seen it posted on the CL site.

Forthegame4:  10 wins will be hard for most teams in the 2nd half. For the last 2 seasons, DTS has turned it on in the 2nd half. Odyssey is capable of beating the top teams again just like they did in the 1st 9 games. There's no quit in Sawyer's team but 6 wins out of 9 is a huge task. The top 3 will have to deal with each other again so I'm sure those will be barn burners just like before but I think Stricker, Castro & FCD get 10 wins. It will be exciting as usual.  No doubt there will be some great match ups & a few surprises.  State Cup will be a slug fest with all the great teams we have this year. Before the fun starts, Stricker, Odyssey FCD & DTS head to Round Rock next weekend for the next round of Regional Premiere League games. Stricker & FCD are vying for the top 2 spots, DTS & ODY will be in the spoiler roles with both capable of beating the teams from South Texas. Good luck boys, represent NTX soccer.

Dragon Nation
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/16/2017, 7:41 am

I think Solar Stricker was the better team Sunday. Poor officiating played a part in that game ending a tie..... but that is soccer in North Texas. its like the forrest Gump movie. "life is like a box of chocolates-you never know what your going to get" .... well "North Texas Referring is like a box of chocolates-you never know what your going to get". LOL: Anyway the PK that was awarded was a joke, the red card should have been a yellow all had a big impact on the game. It was a very entertaining game to watch that's for sure. Both teams played hard-Kudos to both teams and coaches.

On another note, I had Sawyer winning the Odyssey game but was surprised by the score. 4-2. Ouch ! Sawyers team is definitely improving but I thought that was going to be a closer game. I watched bits and pieces of this game and Sawyer's team was in control. I heard someone say that Odyssey was missing a starting defender but from what I saw I don't think that would have been the difference between odyssey winning or losing. I've always enjoyed watching Odyssey, good old fashioned 1-2 touch possession soccer, always competitive, an entertaining very animated, short fused coach on the sideline but lately they have slipped. So the big question is what is going on with Odyssey ?

Looks like the other games went as planned. DTS, FCD and Ayses won their games by wide margins.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Number13 on 10/16/2017, 8:38 am

Soccer GuRu wrote: Anyway the PK that was awarded was a joke, the red card should have been a yellow all had a big impact on the game. It was a very entertaining game to watch that's for sure. Both teams played hard-Kudos to both teams and coaches.  

Short of throwing a punch, you are not going to get suspended or sent off for any on-field behavior between players.   But I've seen 2 for 2 on red cards this season for saying "are you f-cking kidding me?" to a center.   As others here can attest.  You F bomb the ref,  you may just get sent off and get a 2 game suspension as a bonus.   Seems thin skinned at this age, but hard to act aggrieved with any real conviction.  

Number13
TxSoccer Addict
TxSoccer Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/16/2017, 8:59 am

I agree number 13. There are times when straight red cards are OK. Fighting, intent to harm-dangerous plays. Dissent is a misconduct call. While I hate cursing from kids at this age it is still a difference of opinion on the call and ultimately a misconduct call. First step should always be a yellow card-unless the player is threatening the referee or makes the comment personal to the referee (calls him in A-- or something). Anyway, I hopefully the player will learn a lesson from this....keep your mouth closed or risk being tossed out.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Socceropath on 10/16/2017, 11:45 am

Soccer GuRu wrote:I think Solar Stricker was the better team Sunday.

You lost me with your opening statement. Please change your name to "Kickball GuRu" as only one team was playing soccer out there. Not to say Stricker doesn't have some talented players, but to ascribe the term "better team" is the epitome of what's wrong with US Soccer culture and speaks directly to the ignorance of far too many parents out there.

Socceropath
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/16/2017, 1:30 pm

Now Now socceropath, don't get your underpants twisted. You overlooked my comments earlier. I love possession 1-2 touch passing teams- it is my preference. I did not specify who was the better style team. Castro is by far the better possession team. Castro does a great job coaching that style. Stricker is the better end to end/pressure team. Sunday- I felt Stricker was the better team. Next time they play, I may say Castro was the better team. It depends how the game goes. One style or the other does not make a team better than another. That's called a preference. That's the problem with too many parents, like yourself, in this country, you think that playing a certain style differentiates teams from being better or worse- when it really comes down to who played better on that day. You may prefer Castro's style of soccer better but that does not make their team better. Castro, Ayses and Odyssey are all possession teams and I really enjoy watching those games. If that syle of soccer made them the better teams they would all be in first place all the time.... enough said.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Socceropath on 10/16/2017, 3:13 pm

No worries, I prefer to go commando.  I'll agree to your premise though that style alone doesn't make you the better team.  So the standard here is how well each team executed its style, fair?  

Stricker's style is heavy pressure and direct attack.  On the direct attack I'd give them an A-.  They got in behind a few times (a few of them they were even onsides) and converted 3 times (I would have given an A but they missed several relatively easy opportunities).  Best play was 3rd goal as Castro was slow in transition and Stricker took advantage. Great job taking advantage of opponents mistake!  From a pressure standpoint (taking away your opponents time and space), I'd give them a D, Castro had no issue building from the back and won the majority of 50/50 balls in the midfield.  In the defensive 3rd, I'd give them a B.  They did an overall good job of stopping the attack from the right side, but fell asleep on the corner kick and were pulled out of position on the 3rd goal.  Set pieces, F - Failed to account for the wind and consistently blasted the ball over the goal.  Overall grade - C+, glaring issue was giving up way too much time/space in the midfield.

Castro obviously plays possession, their game plan is to build from the back, switch the ball, pull the defense out of position then attack.  Building from the back - A.  They had no issue breaking through the high pressure throughout.  Switching the ball- B, there were times when the midfielders carried the ball too long.  They were most successful when they moved the ball around quickly.  Attacking - C, too unselfish in and around the 18, gave up viable shot opportunities in favor of a through ball that was rarely completed.  Set Pieces - A.  Scored on corner kick.  Overall Grade B+.  

Then again...maybe I'm reading too much into your concept of better team.  Would you prefer to debate which team is doing more to develop their players vs winning youth soccer games?

Socceropath
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/16/2017, 3:37 pm

Nope, Castro all day long. I say the same about Odyssey and Ayses-good development programs. I believe the kids playing in these programs have very high soccer IQ's. Very technical players.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by Good1stTouch on 10/16/2017, 3:40 pm

I love what PG-Boy said in a discussion about Team USA not making it to the World Cup.  He relates it to his boys U17 D1 games.  I have to agree that we are not developing kids to play at the highest level.  Isn't that the goal to get our kids to the highest level?  Just like any sport very few will make it, however,  we aren't developing any!  I take that back, we have one or two, like Christian Pulisic.  However, he had to go overseas to really develop to the point of where he is now.

"In our U17 2001 Classic League D1 games, I often see winning teams booting the ball 60, 70, 80 yards up field. Bypassing the midfield with long arcing balls into the penalty box where size matters in collecting 50/50 balls. Very little to no build-up from the back. No player development there. Just scrappy and physical robots.

The other variation is for teams to collect a foul ANYWHERE on the field. This allows them to trot their tall defenders upfield and gather numbers in the penalty box for the free-kicks. At this age, teams are strong enough to send 40-80 yard kicks into the penalty box. I laugh because the big kids are falling and getting free kicks while the teams trying to maintain possession on the ground and keep the ball in play are whistled for fouls.

One of the top teams wastes time by kicking the ball out of bounds continuously. The coach screams and coaches non-stop, kick the ball out! He cries all the time for free kicks so he can send his defenders high. All the crying for phantom fouls is laughable. But you know what? It works. The long-ball team wins a lot of games.

Many kids in Classic League aren't developed for skill. Many teams are simply designed to win regardless of the process. So everyone seems happy.

I imagine this is occurring across the nation. The result is the USA isn't developing enough players for the pro and international game. The US couldn't beat a tiny nation of 300,000. Instead, Costa Rica and either Panama or Honduras are going to the WC and the US will be watching on TV! What a mess."
Good1stTouch
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/16/2017, 4:30 pm

well said and I couldn't agree more. Long Ball teams win games early on in the youth soccer players career and the desire to win win win over development is a killer. But as the kids get older the smarter, technical players start to shine more. Someday these kids will go to college and or the pro's. When they get there, coaches wont care about the team you came from and how many win's you had at age 15, 16 years old... they want to know can you play the game of soccer. At that level, you better be able to do more than run fast, play kickball and win headers. You better have soccer IQ and technical skills. players at the next level need to know how to play the game of soccer. That's where the rubber meets the road. unfortunately, those kids are not plentiful anymore.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by booe817 on 10/21/2017, 6:44 pm

Another win for Solar Sawyer. That's 4 in a row. 3-2 against a solid Ayces team..
But they are still just marginal.

Castro won as expected.

Unknown on the other game today.

Thoughts on Wednesday nights games?

booe817
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Soccer GuRu on 10/21/2017, 7:20 pm

Yes Sawyer is improving. My guess is they will gel even more over the break. 2nd half will probably be better than the 1st. Ayses started off slow today and sawyer/solar capitalized on it. Ayses pressed the issue late in the game but just didn't get it done. Sawyer vs Ayses is a very good match up.
Castro game was what we all thought it would be ... One sided.
I think FCD premier will win over odyssey Wednesday. 2 goal difference. I think Stricker will beat DTS by a 1 goal difference.
Pretty serious injury in an 03 game today. Ambulance took player away.

Soccer GuRu
TxSoccer Lurker
TxSoccer Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post by booe817 on 10/21/2017, 9:11 pm

Hope the player is ok. I heard it might have been a broken leg, but I can't confirm that.

booe817
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by nearpost95 on 10/21/2017, 10:40 pm

booe817 wrote:Hope the player is ok. I heard it might have been a broken leg, but I can't confirm that.

yep.  lower leg break.  player tripped over keeper and landed wrong.  paramedics air splinted it and took him away.

nearpost95
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum